Excavator operator (Certificate category M2)

If you have a foreign education or professional qualification and wish to practice your profession in Norway, you generally need approval or authorisation. You will find information about documentation requirements, the application process and regulations here. The competent authority will assess whether you meet the requirements to practice the profession and use the professional title in Norway. If you intend to establish in Norway and work permanently in your chosen profession, the rules below apply to you. However, if you wish to work in Norway for shorter periods of time within your chosen profession, the rules for temporary provision of services apply.

Excavator operator (approval of foreign professional qualifications)

About this form

Applications can only be submitted by the professional/individual. Please submit your application with attachments to the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority.


If you wish to establish yourself or work for an extended period in Norway within your profession, you must apply for recognition from the competent recognition authority before you can practice this profession in Norway.

Temporary provision of services:

You can work temporarily in this profession if you are already legally established in an EEA country or Switzerland and can practice the same profession in that country. To be able to work in this profession temporarily in Norway, you must submit a prior declaration to the competent authority (by applying for temporary recognition). This is because the practice of the profession may have implications for safety and health, and the recognition authorities need to be able to verify that you are qualified to practice the profession before you start working.

The competent authority will assess whether they will allow professional practice without further scrutiny or conduct further scrutiny of your professional qualifications.

Documentatation requirements for establishment or temporary provision of services:

  • Copy of passport or national ID card. For Nordic citizens, a driver's license confirming nationality is accepted.
  • Copy of all pages of the original qualification certificate from another EEA country or Switzerland / United Kingdom, when neither the profession nor education is regulated by law.

If neither the education nor the profession is regulated by law in the home state:

Documentation of a minimum of one year of work experience with the indicated work equipment. The practice must have been acquired in another EEA country other than Norway within the last ten years. The requirement does not apply to citizens of the United Kingdom. British citizens are required to provide documentation of their professional qualifications that are equivalent to those required in Norway.

If you are a citizen from a country outside of EEA or Switzerland:

Residence permit card from an EEA country or Switzerland.

Language requirements:


Criteria/conditions for recognition: 

The statutory qualification requirements related to the practice of the profession are stipulated in the Regulations relating to conduct of work, use of work equipment and appurtenant technical requirements, part three: Requirements relating to work involving physical risk factors, Chapter 10 on requirements relating to use of work equipment, and the Regulations concerning administrative arrangements within the area of application of the Working Environment Act Chapter 9 on foreign nationals’ right to use work equipment or perform work under water or under increased ambient pressure.

The statutory requirements for being entitled to recognition of professional qualification from abroad are stipulated in the Act on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (Professional Qualifications Act) and the Regulation on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (Professional Qualifications Regulation).

Case processing deadlines:


The competent authority must acknowledge receipt of your application within one month of receiving it and inform you of any missing or incomplete documentation.

Following the submission of a complete application, the competent authority should complete processing your application within three months.

Temporary provision of services:

The competent authority shall, within one month of receiving the notification, determine whether you can start working without further scrutiny of your qualifications, or if you need to undergo a compensation measure.

If the competent authority needs more than one month to determine this, you shall be notified of the reason for the delay within one month after the notification was received. In such cases, the competent authority shall make a decision within two months after the reason for the delay has been resolved.

If the competent authority has not processed the application within these deadlines, you may practice the profession.


The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority does not charge a fee for processing applications for recognition.

Right of appeal:

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the decision, you may appeal in writing, pursuant to Chapter VI of the Public Administration Act. If your application is processed in accordance with the Professional Qualifications Act, the right of appeal also applies if the competent authority has exceeded the case processing deadlines (see Case processing deadlines above).

Competent authority

The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority
P.O. Box 4720 Sluppen,
NO-7468 Trondheim

E-mail: post@arbeidstilsynet.no 
Phone: (+47) 73 19 97 00

Open contact form